21 February, 2010

Croissants

Right, so I've moved straight on from easy basics to flashy pastries now. This is not a recipe for the faint-hearted - I found that out the hard way! After watching the new rom-com, "It's Complicated," I was immediately taken by how easy it looked to make the delicious french treat, le croissant. Meryl Streep portrays a successful chef in the film, and my! She made pastry-baking look so damn effortless.


Mine went wrong. Well, not entirely. I just kind of gave up after spending 3 hours rolling, kneading and flaking my way to perfection. It was near on 11:30pm when I finally pulled the final results from the oven, and I think it was more out of exhaustion that I made do with what I had and went to bed.
 
The next morning, I came downstairs to try my new breakfast treat. They weren't half bad - but they weren't croissants, either. They look like croissants, but actually they are closer to crescent-shaped Chocolate Brioche than all-butter french croissants.
Anyway, this is how they turned out - I'll still show you, but I'm not going to give you the recipe I used. Takes far too long... No one has that amount of time to spend on breakfast items. Try out some of these recipes, though. You might find them more useful than the one found in "The Cookery Year" recipe book (my horrible, horrible choice ). Please feel free to comment if you find that any of these links have worked well for you! It would be a joy if I could actually bake croissants one day, but that day will not be any day soon. I'm going back to basic baking, now.

Bread Recipes: Croissants
Easy Croissant Recipe

Kirsten x

No comments:

Post a Comment