11 June, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Two weeks too late, I know. But I can safely say that Jim's 21st Birthday Cupcake Tier Cake was a massive success! :D I have even been asked to make someone's Wedding Cake now!!! So I'm a very happy girlie. Anyways, so what happened? If you've been following, I bought all the ingredients and equipment in the weeks leading up to my boyfriend's big birthday party at the end of May. The night before the party, I actually made the cupcakes, using the same recipe from Pink Muffins (vanilla, mutual favourite). On the day of the party, I woke up super early and spent the following FOUR hours decorating 30 cupcakes. Every cupcake was individual, and was designed with my boyfriend's favourite foods being the main theme.
We have a range of cakes, each decorated with:
- Mini Oreos - he loves them!
- Silver Balls
- Dr Oetker Chocolate Stars
- Silver Spoon Blue and White Writing Icing
- Rolled Icing in the shape of stars
- The buttercream I cannot take credit for. I cheated. Sorry guys, but my main reasoning behind this was there was already two jars of Betty Crocker vanilla and chocolate buttercream in the cupboard, and with funds being already low (oh yeah, I paid for the whole party as his present. Not cheap!) I used them on the cakes. However, I do know how to make buttercream, so don't lose faith. It's not hard. Butter. Icing Sugar. Bit o' milk. Colouring. Flavouring. EASY.
This was the central focus of the whole cake. Unfortunately, my plans did not go well for this part. I did aim to make a range of different sized icing stars and affix them to silver wire, then have them sprayed behind the '21.' This went terribly, albeit my original thinking that it would be easy. You see them a lot on today's celebration cakes, I even had one on my 18th cake two years ago. However, the stars broke. They melted. Thet slid down the wire. It didn't end well... I even tried supergluing them to the wire, but instead of superglue drying clear like usual, it didn't when used on rolled icing. Damn! Try again soon.
This cake was used as a deterrent for nosey party attendees. It says "Don't Touch," as I thought the style of cake wouldn't be obvious as the Birthday Boy's actual birthday cake and people would assume the cake was part of the buffet. No, people. (I later found out that this cake was stolen and mashed into the mouth of my friend. Not impressed!)

So, I'm pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? Would you ever have a cupcake tier-cake?
Kirsten x

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha yeah.. ry ate the don't touch cake. was quite funny though ;) he said it was really good! if that helps you feel better at all? hehe

    awesome job. looking forward to seeing the wedding cake! and i hope you do a post on your charity cupcakes too.. xx

    ReplyDelete